.thumb img { float: right; margin: 0 0 10px 10px; }

Friday, August 5, 2022

Happy National Underwear Day

5-August 2022: Happy National Underwear Day!

Today is National Underwear Day. So Happy Day to all! I figure what better to way celebrate than to return to this blog with a self-post.
 

 

Apparently, National Underwear Day in the U.S. was started by the brand Freshpair in 2003. They sought to campaign for body positivity. This is something that is more important than ever in our culture with the explosion of social media.  
 
 
Freshpair states the following on their website: "Celebrate National Underwear Day with us this year on August 5th. Freshpair founded this holiday in 2003 as a way to inspire confidence through underwear. We believe that well-fitting bras, panties, and pairs of underwear can improve your self-esteem in only seconds. In our world of social media, there's constant exposure to edited pictures of seemingly perfect people in their undergarments. National Underwear Day is about embracing your no-filter, no-pants self with pride! Find out more about this holiday and how you can celebrate!"
 
Some of you know I have been dealing with my own body image issues, leading to a drop in my own posts. Perhaps it is time to use this celebratory day to own and accept my body and get back to posting. It doesn't mean that I can't work on exercise and self-improvement. 

I came to snap these pics on the fly after a friend and I were chatting and discussing this special day. After sharing these pics with him, I gained the courage to blog this post.
 

Some interesting stats I discovered while researching this 'holiday' include:
1.  215 — the record for the most pairs of underwear worn by 10-year-old Jack Singer in 2010.
2.   9% — the percentage of men in America who own underwear that is at least 10 years old.
3.   1,613 — the number of underwear stolen by Greg Flaherty in 1935. 
4.  1935  — the year when men’s briefs were invented. 
 
 
 
Some commentary I would make about the above items: I have only stolen one pair of underwear in my lifetime. I blogged about it previously. Technically it was not a theft because the 'victim' left them behind and was not going to return to claim them. So stealing 1,613...that is quite an impressive feat! What a busy guy :)




If you wear a pair of underwear in heavy rotation, 10 years is a long time to keep them! When you have 595 pairs in your collection as I do, you may not wear some of them hardly at all, so there is no harm in keeping them for years as they don't wear out. The industry recommendation has been to throw out your underwear after 6 months; I would only do that if I owned 15 pairs or so. 
 
So what are you wearing for National Underwear Day? Do you consider this a holiday? Let me know in the comments below. And show me your undies!

2 comments:

Comments

26-July 2026: Kumori Goldvale Brief

26-July 2026: Kumori Goldvale Brief Kumori is a recent brand I have discovered. They have just released a few new prints. Naturally, I'm...