Here is a Tumblr repost which recounts some of my underwear history. I admit I have been wearing trunks and boxer briefs a lot recently. They aren't so bad, are they?


16 January 2019:  Boring Boxer Briefs…College Days and Beyond

My go-to underwear during my college days was definitely the Hanes boxer brief. They were inexpensive, modest, and served me well during days when I suffered most from body image issues. I distinctly remember being told as a college student, when undergoing fat caliper testing, that I would not survive a famine if one should befall us.

With adequately covering boxer briefs, I felt I could go to the gym or rec center and change without feeling awkward or receiving glances. In reality, someone should have knocked some sense into me and told me that briefs were okay to wear for my body type, but I had no such person in my life! I suppose a guy or buddy is not going to say it. And my dating life was nil at the time.

image
The good old Hanes boxer brief came in black and grey, as I recall. They may have had white, but I never purchased any of those. I loved how they covered the legs well. I HATED showing off my skinny legs! The problem is that they never really held up the form-fitting shape. The leg portion would not keep tight, as seen in the picture above. Ultimately, they would ride up throughout the day. They would look great when putting them on in the morning, but all bets were off after that! You could wind up looking like a mess if you were caught with your pants down unexpectedly ;-)
 •
 As a poor college lad, I also tried the Fruit of the Loom brand. But my preference was for Hanes over FTL back then. I’m unsure about the current garments and how they stack up against each other in 2019.
 •
 Eventually, I moved over to the Champion brand, which was still affordable but a bit better quality for a struggling college student, IMO.

image
For example, I wanted to blend into the woodwork when I was at Gold’s Gym. (I cannot believe I ever went there!) And these undies fit the bill. I wore most of my 20s and early 30s while still throwing in Hanes and FTL intermittently. Champion was a safe choice for sure! At the time, I wanted my underwear to be the rate-limiting step when it came time to do laundry. My post-graduate studies were incredibly stressful, so I purchased an ample supply of underwear to limit my trips to the laundry. (It sounds kinda lazy when I reflect on this now…sheesh!!). Still, it was a survival method at its very finest! After all, I held firm to the tenant that one does not recycle underwear, but a shirt…maybe. LOL
 •
 When I finished 7 years of post-grad coursework and moved out of state, my underwear tastes “evolved” a bit. I moved onto the Evolve style trunk that Target Stores sold and continue to market to this very day.

image
These were vastly different from any previous boxer briefs I had worn. Namely, they were more colorful and stylish. Additionally, they were bulge enhancing with a contour pouch. I had never worn any underwear like them before! So it was new and exciting to cross over, so to speak. Evolve is made by 2xist. I found these to be quite comfortable for daily use. For the price, they did not disappoint! I still have these in my drawers, although I no longer wear them. I wish I had purchased some of their briefs. When shopping with my family, I occasionally spy the underwear selection, and I see that they are continuing to improve the line a bit.
 •
 Now, I have finally come back to briefs. When I say “come back,” I mean because that’s what I wore in my youth. What happened is that I bought some Calvin Klein Briefs for running and then some 2xist jockstraps for the same purpose. Now I won’t go back to trunks or boxer briefs again. I admit that I occasionally wear them on a cold day outdoor run. It’s not that I hate them, it’s just that my body type is probably best suited for briefs (my opinion).
 •
 What is your underwear history? Every man has one! Care to share? Comment or send me a message.